The art of applying makeup is one of the oldest traits of civilized groups of people and according to Dr. Richard Russell there is a science in the art of applying makeup. An assistant professor of Psychology at Gettysburg College, he has deduced that a face appears female due to facial contrast and application of makeup enhances this contrast making one appear more attractive. Female skin tone is also lighter than male skin tone, which supports the use of foundation that evens out skin tone and in some case makes the skin appear lighter.
Plucking of eyebrows, applying eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara darkens the eyes and lashes. Lipstick and lip liners darken the lips giving the face an immediate feminine appeal and thus making it more attractive. Rouge/blush applied artfully on the cheeks give a healthy rosy cheek look.
As part of our ‘Happy MakeupLicious’ series, we are starting a sequence of posts on the art of applying makeup like a pro. Our featured writer is Muskaan Ahuja, a gorgeous Certified Professional Make Up Artist and Special Effects from ESMOD University Dubai.
Forever Young makeup tutorial.
You don’t need to undergo expensive and not to mention painful laser surgery to get a facelift or a youthful glow. A few clever makeup tricks will have you looking years younger and beautiful in 5 simple steps.
Muskaan has charted 5 simple steps to incorporate into your daily makeup routine that will have you glowing with confidence.
Step 1: A good foundation.
Skin is the largest organ of your body and the one most prone to ageing as it is constantly battles harsh weather, chemicals and pollutants while it protecting your body. It deserves your care and respect. Fine lines, wrinkles, sagging, irregularity of pigmentation (age spots), and dryness are the tell tale signs of aging. Good genes are a major factor for youthful skin, however good lifestyle choices and makeup can help minimise the harsh effects of time.
Choosing a good foundation is the fundamental step in the art of makeup.
A good foundation has the following characteristics:
- A light coverage formula: heavy foundations tend to make skin sag. A light formula spreads smoothly with out clumping and is gentle on the delicate facial skin.
- Evens out your skin tone: Foundation should match your skin tone and mask age spots giving the appearance of youth.
- Spreads smoothly instead of just filling up fine lines. If your foundation tends to fill up fine lines you will end up with skin that looks wrinkled. You need to experiment to find one that smoothens out your skin and tackles the appearance of wrinkles.
- Addresses your skin’s specific needs. A dry skin looks aged and dull. A good foundation that moisturises without caking is what you should lookout for. If your skin is oily you need to find a foundation that isn’t oil based. If you have combination skin, oily T zone and dry rest of the area, you might need to experiment with perhaps two types of foundation. Needless to say money spent on good high quality foundation is worth it.
- Ensuring that your foundation has a built in SPF of at least 15-20 will protect your skin from further harmful affects of the sun.
Step 2- CONCEAL AND REVEAL
- Pick a concealer two shades lighter than your foundation.
- Place three dots under the eye where the shadows are.
- Gently pat product into skin, working it into the inner corners, which tend to darken with age.
- This will mask the dark circles and tell tale signs of a hectic life.
Step 3 – OPEN YOUR EYES.
- Dust some shadow in a taupe or stone colour over the lid.
- Apply a highlighting formula under the arch to give the appearance of a mini brow ‘lift’.
- Finally apply two coats of mascara to top lashes.
- If you use an eyelash curler you will want to curl your lashes before you apply your mascara.
Step 4 – LET THE CHEEKS GLOW
- Applying blusher to the apples of the cheeks gives skin a younger glow.
- Cream formulas give skin a dewy look, but you’ll need to touch up throughout the day, as they aren’t very long lasting.
- As most skin tends to dry out with age, cream blushers are a good choice and are best-applied using fingertips.
Step 5 – PLUMP UP YOUR POUT
- Unfortunately, lips tend to thin with age.
- Counteract this with a lip-plumping formula.
- They contain a special plant complex that boosts hyaluronic acid production, instantly restoring the plumpness.
A Smile is the best make-up you can wear every day.🙂
Muskaan Ahuja (AKA Tina) Dubai based MUA
Visit my page: http://www.facebook.com/MuskaanAhujaTinaMua
Professional Make-up and Special effects Artist.
Tel: +971 55 99585856