Did you ever walk into a mall/shop/party and immediately notice someone, who appeared confidant, cool and fashionably dressed? That’s a fashionista, the complete package of personality and flattering attire. It’s not your body type, good looks or just your outfit, it’s the entire package that makes you a Fashionista. It’s how you create the Chic image, irrespective of your body type or looks. Don’t be fooled by the biased media hype that you need to have a supermodel figure or movie star good looks to become a style icon. All you really need is a flattering wardrobe, good accessories and loads of confidence.
The step-by-step guide to be a budget Fashionista:
1. Love yourself! Appreciate yourself and respect your body. You are a female, one of God’s most precious creations. You are unique and already beautiful, you don’t need to look like someone else or wear what others are wearing to look good. You only need to discover how best to reveal your personality and to flatter your body. Fall in love with your self, discover your quirky behaviour, appreciate your personality and then create your own fashion style that reflects all that.
2. Determine your body type: Find celebrities who are that shape and study their styles to get an idea of what will flatter your image. Celebrities have style guides and designers to help them bring out their best, you can take advantage of all that free advice. Scan as many images as you can to find out what look worked and what didn’t, and how that relates to your wardrobe.
E.g.: Apple shaped: wide shoulders, heavier top than bottom.
Celebrities: Catherine Zeta Jones, Elizabeth Hurley, Jennifer Hudson etc.
V-neck tops, top flattering/emphasizing dresses, skinny jeans all form their basic wardrobe essentials.
3. Discover your colour: Stand in front of a full length mirror and wear all your outfits. Grade each outfit (1 -10) in terms of look (does it flatter you body shape or draw attention to parts you rather hide) and style (does it give you a frumpy look or does it strike as classy). Discard/donate any item that fails to get above 5 points. While you’re doing that find out which colours seemed to brighten up your face and which make you look drained or tired. Yes, colours have that effect depending on your skin tone. E.g., depending on how tanned you are, different shades of pink will suit you. Every woman has one particular colour that just makes her sparkle, note this down, this is the colour that you should look for in accessories like, eye makeup, scarves, pendants, earrings etc.
If there is nothing in your wardrobe that stands out, then it might be time to head off to the nearest mall and go towards the scarves section and try on different coloured scarves. Look for the colour which, when draped around your neck, seems to brighten your face. That’s your colour.
4. Determine your favourite feature about your self: Is it your beautifully sculpted calves? Your flawless skin? Your perfectly manicured hands or feet? Your slender neck? Thick shiny hair? Sparkling eyes? Whatever it is, make it your signature style feature. Every outfit you wear should accentuate that feature.
5. Invest in a set of classic accessories: Shoes, bags, scarves, belts, bags and jewellery. After Step 3, you should have a rough idea of what is your personal style and what wardrobe essentials are required. Try to buy accessories that frame the face like earrings, necklaces, scarves and makeup, in ‘your colour’, this will help brighten your entire look. Keep your personal style preference in mind when you go shopping and look out for items that complement or build your personal style. E.g. If you have discovered that you are a vintage girl at heart then keep an eye for any accessories that have a vintage appeal. You can pair them with a formal office attire whilst emphasising your individuality.
These simple steps can help you transform your image since most of the time it’s not a lack of designer pieces (there are only so many places you can wear a valentino gown) but a lack of theme, coordination and often unflattering pieces that prevents the Fashionista in you to shine through.
Give these simple steps a go and let me know how it turns out!
Next up, simple make up tricks that promise to transform!